Friday, December 26, 2014

Reblogging: Boudhanath – One of the Holiest Buddhist Sites in Nepal

Christmas is over and time really flies so fast. As an Overseas Filipino Worker, celebrating the Yuletide season away from home is ordinarily normal. I have gotten to commemorate Christmas on my own as if it's not Christmas at all, specially if you are in a non-christian country.
Nevertheless, it's like a pretty normal days for me since I've gone abroad for a longer times. Anyway, I'd love to share snippets of a neighboring country here in Asia, a country which I dream to visit one day because of it's uniqueness in culture, belief, intriguing life and shared experience from a travel blogger   ( Flipnomad) whom I have been following since then...let's take a look then.




Posted: 16 Dec 2014 07:29 AM PST

Boudhanath is said to be one of the most holiest Buddhist sites in Nepal. During my entire stay in Nepal, I rented a room near Boudhanath and had the chance to observe the daily life that revolves around this holy stupa. Just like Swayambunath, Boudhanath’s structure includes a dome which represents the world, the eyes (Wisdom and Compassion) which represents enlightenment and thirteen pinnacles on top to represent the thirteen stages that we need to go through to attain enlightenment of Buddhahood.
On a daily basis, you’ll see so many pilgrims walking clockwise around the stupa while uttering their prayers. Most of them are also holding their prayer beads or mallas and some are carrying prayer wheels. A lot of these people came from nearby villages and some of them come from as far as the remotest place in Nepal like Dolpo and visit Boudhanath once in awhile.
Since Boudhanath is one of the holiest Buddhist sites, there’re also so many rites and rituals being done here by the Buddhist community. Boudhanath also has a large population of Tibetan refugees and there are around 50 Tibetan monasteries scattered around the area. This place also attracts so many Western people who are interested in studying Buddhism. A lot of monasteries are offering classes about Buddhism and Tibetan Language.
Around the main stupa, you’ll see numerous guesthouses, restaurants, cafes and souvenir shops.
This is one of my favorite places in Kathmandu because of the laid back atmosphere and the positive vibe that I feel every time I walk around the area of Boudha.
Here are some pictures of Boudhanath:



















 The pictures are so intriguing and captivating, one day I would see this exotic and historical country and it's on my top list to visit. More stories of fascinating photos and stories about Nepal, please do visit : Flipnomad's blog where you can read about his travels.

No comments:

My Favorite Instrumental Music